March 24, 2009

Stargazer (Evernight Academy, Book 2) by Claudia Gray

Evernight Book 2: Stargazer by Claudia GrayThis post will be the review only. I will post the contest this weekend as I am having a crazy week.

Stargazer (Evernight Academy, Book 2) by Claudia Gray
HarperTeen (March 24, 2009)
329 pages (Hardcover)

Originality: 19!
Characters: 20!
Writing: 19!
Setting: 10!
Plot: 19!
Passion: 10!
Grade: 97/100!


NEW! Cover Bonus Points: 2/5!
99/100!

Inside flap description:

The vampire in me was closer to the surface . . .
Evernight Academy: an exclusive boarding school for the most beautiful, dangerous students of all—vampires. Bianca, born to two vampires, has always been told her destiny is to become one of them.
But Bianca fell in love with Lucas—a vampire hunter sworn to destroy her kind. They were torn apart when his true identity was revealed, forcing him to flee the school.
Although they may be separated, Bianca and Lucas will not give each other up. She will risk anything for the chance to see him again, even if it means coming face-to-face with the vampire hunters of Black Cross—or deceiving the powerful vampires of Evernight. Bianca's secrets will force her to live a life of lies.
Yet Bianca isn't the only one keeping secrets. When Evernight is attacked by an evil force that seems to target her, she discovers the truth she thought she knew is only the beginning. . . .
Read an excerpt HERE!

Originality:
The plot was very original in this book. Ghosts, vampires, humans, teens, adults, extremely old vampire teens. It has it all. Everything worked well together in this recent installment by Claudia Gray.

Characters:

Bianca and Lucas's love holds strong even thought they are forced apart. We learn more about Bianca, her parents, and her roommate Raquel. We also learn a bit more about snob Courtney. And a major character this time around is one of my favorite characters: Balthazar. We also meet his sister in this book, who turns out to be a major character.

Writing:
Claudia did such a better job on the writing this time around! I remember reading Evernight feeling confused and a bit ahead of where the reader should have been or something like that. Not with this book. I felt right at home. Everything matched and met up at the correct times. There was no confusion about the storyline, the characters, or even where it was all leading to. It was very well done.

Setting:

Well, the setting is Evernight Academy. A giant stone building with towers and gargoyles. The setting is setup very well. A lot takes place within Evernight and the details needed to convey the setting were there, not aggressive but not lacking either. We got to travel a bit in this book and each new setting was welcome and presented just great.

Plot:

This book was chock full o' badassness! There was lots of action, lots of planning, lots of collaboration between characters. Overall, I had tons of fun reading this. Everything worked out in the end with little-to-no loose ends, well except for the ending, but that's to be expected!

Passion:
Wow. The passion is totally there. Between Lucas and Bianca and even Bianca and Balty. Lucas and Bianca have a very close scene that they both ended up confused by what the other wants and it ends terribly, terribly bad. I wanted to cry and beat someone up. I felt totally sad for Bianca but I also understood where Lucas was coming from. And what makes it even worse is that Balthazar is such a nice guy, vampire, whatever, and he and Bianca would work great together. They share a moment that was so hot it was freezing....for a moment I thought I was reading one of my adult romances.

Cover:
The cover isn't that great. They stayed true with the artwork of the first book with a contrasted pic of a girl but I don't get it. I do love the font that Stargazer is set in though. And the purple is cool too.

Overall:
This was a great book. I totally loved it and I was soo sad with the end. Because I didn't want it to end. Here's the closing line:
"Yeah." I looked at Lucas as I took his hand in mine. "I'm with you."

So, needless to say, I WANT MORE!

The next book titled Hourglass will probably be a whole year away.

There are some cool wallpapers and avatars on Claudia's website!

Stay tuned for my contest of a BRAND NEW copy of Stargazer! I'll be posting it sometime later this week!






2 comments:

Erika Lynn on March 24, 2009 at 11:44 PM said...

great review! i can't wait to read this one now that I finished Evernight and I am so glad to hear Balthazar plays an even bigger role. He is definitely my favorite.

Michelle on April 2, 2009 at 10:09 AM said...

I love your reviews, how you comment on each aspect of the novel. Great stuff. This is in my to be read pile. I'm really excited to get to it. =)

 

Jess's Ramblings Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon